Dr. Poeth is a hands-on manufacturing expert who has worked in all areas of engineering, manufacturing, and technical management including research, design, and production of mechanical, electronic, and electromechanical systems. Dr. Poeth has participated in, managed, and coordinated a wide variety of multidisciplinary industrial and government programs in business analytics, discrete-event simulation, advanced manufacturing systems, automation, robotics, quality improvement, and technology transfer.
Licensed professional engineer (P.E. - Ohio), certified manufacturing engineer (C.Mfg.E.), US citizen. Lockheed Martin LM21 Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certified. Certified Black Belt. Qualified Prosci Change Management Practitioner.
Department Of Energy (DOE) Q clearance. Status: Active.
D.F. Poeth, " Ethics of Big Data," May, 2014, Electronic Conference On Teaching Statistics
D.F. Poeth, J.E. Oppenlander " Integrating Writing in the Statistics Curriculum," May, 2014, Electronic Conference On Teaching Statistics
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Let your competitors teach you," Sunday, March 18, 2012, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Take the day off," Sunday, September 4, 2011, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Public misbehavior illustrates need to revive ethical standards," Sunday, April 3, 2011, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: What employers need," Sunday, December 5, 2010, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Manufacturers must cut waste and inefficiency to survive," Sunday, June 6, 2010, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Can you imagine?," Sunday, December 6, 2009, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: It's all about fundamentals ," Sunday, May 10, 2009, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: New York manufacturing," Sunday, January 11, 2009, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Collapse of the World Trade Centerís Twin Towers a warning for the future," Sunday, September 7, 2008, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Manufacturers take heart in the falling dollar," Sunday, May 18, 2008, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Not made in USA," Sunday, January 27, 2008, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: Time-tested practices show environmental sense is good business," Sunday, November 18, 2007, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Op-ed: U.S. manufacturers can turn offshoring to their advantage," Sunday, July 15, 2007, Daily Gazette, Schenectady, NY
D.F. Poeth, " Small Business Manufacturing in a Global Environment," December 2006, http://poeth.com/sbmge.pdf
D.F. Poeth, " Manufacturing Management Strategies for the Small Business Competing in an Offshoring Economy," February 2005, Revised and updated December 2006. http://poeth.com/os-1.htm
D.F. Poeth, " Introduction to Surface Mount Technology and Surface Mount Devices
for the Small Manufacturer and Hobbyist: Prototype Manufacturing, Rework,
and Repair Techniques ," April 2004, http://poeth.com/smtmfg.htm
D.F. Poeth, "Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
in Electronics Manufacturing," March 2004, http://poeth.com/NDT.htm
D.F. Poeth, "Surface Mount Device (SMD)
Test Tweezers," November 2004, QST magazine
Manufacturing cost reduction
Design for manufacturability (DFM) and affordability (DFA)
Manufacturing process development
Discrete-event simulation modeling with Arena software
Automated manufacturing systems
Statistical design of experiments (DOE) and statistical process control (SPC)
Residual stress improvement
Nondestructive testing methods, including neutron radiography, X-ray radiography, and ultrasound
High productivity machining
Expert in materials processing techniques, including casting, welding, machining, forging, heat treatment and injection molding
Expert in developing and conducting long-term research projects while simultaneously completing multiple short-term industrial projects / research tasks.
Skilled with multiple material characterization techniques, including: scanning electron microscope (SEM), scanning acoustic microscope (SAM), C-scan ultrasound, B-scan ultrasound, A-scan ultrasound, and x-ray diffraction (XRD)
Experienced in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
Good oral communication skills developed from experience with public speaking on engineering topics in both academic and industrial settings.
Penn State University, University Park, PA
Ph.D., Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Dissertation: The Development of the Methodology for the Optimization of Neutron Opaque Penetrants for use in the Evaluation of Manufacturing Damage in Monolithic and Composite Materials (1993)
Penn State University, University Park, PA
M.S. Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Thesis: The Application of a Silicon Dioxide Coating to Polymeric Armor (1990)
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
B.S. Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Adjunct Professor, Union Graduate College. Teaching Design for Manufacturing (MER-507), Case Studies in Failure and Ethics in Engineering (MER-573) and Statistical Models for Management
(MBA-506 - online).
- 2015 Certified Black Belt.
- 2014 Superior Performance Outstanding Teaming (SPOT) award ($300 award).
- 2013 Patent award ($400 award).
- 2006 Invited Speaker, ASM/TMS Spring Symposium, A Method for Evaluating Manufacturing Damage in Monolithic and Composite Materials.
- 2006 Invited Speaker, 2nd Annual Tech Valley Engineering Symposium, Manufacturing Management Strategies for the Small Business Competing in an Offshoring Economy.
- 2005 Department of Energy certificate of recognition for superior technical reports.
- 2005 NOVA Chairmanís Award. For excellence as the editor of the NOVA News.
- 2005 Board of Directors. The Kermis club.
- 2004 Team Award Recognized for outstanding cross-sectional and cross-functional team performance on a process improvement initiative.
- Ten Patent Disclosure Awards, 1994-2004 Designed to recognize company inventors in support of the innovation process.
- 2002 - 2004 Board of Directors. The NOVA Society. 2002 and 2003 co-chair of the educational outreach committee. 2004 chair of the programs committee. The NOVA Society is dedicated to the principle that by joining together our financial support, volunteer time and technical skills, we can truly make more of a difference in our community than we can as individuals.
- 2003 Ordained Church Officer
- 2001 Team Award Designed to foster cooperative efforts by recognizing outstanding cross-sectional and cross-functional team performance. For manufacturing support of a sophisticated Navy platform.
- 2000 NOVA Program Chairman's Award For excellence as editor of the NOVA News.
- 1999 Recognition Award for Developing a Manufacturing Lecture for New Employees Given to employees who exemplify characteristics or achieve specific results in projects/programs well beyond the expectations of their jobs. $500 award.
- 1997 NOVA Newsletter Editor Award For excellence as editor of the NOVA News.
- 1994 Critical skill hire.
- National Engineering Honors Society (Tau Beta Pi) Honor society founded "to mark in a fitting manner those who have conferred honor upon their Alma Mater by distinguished scholarship and exemplary character in engineering
- Industrial Engineering Honors Society (Alpha Pi Mu) The purpose of the Alpha Pi Mu honor society is to confer recognition upon the student of industrial engineering who has shown exceptional academic interests and abilities in the field of industrial engineering.
- Honors Society (Phi Kappa Phi) The Society's mission is "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."
- Two Varsity Letter Awards, The Ohio State University Athletic Department.